Income Tax Department of India facilitates a tax payer to file his Income Tax returns online through their website. It is an easy process and following are the steps involved according to IT department website,
1. Select appropriate type of Return Form from the website (ITR-1/ITR-2/ITR-3/ITR-4)
2. Download and install Return Preparation Software for the selected Return Form
3. Fill return offline and generate XML file
4. Register and create a user id (PAN) and password at the website
5. Login and click on relevant form on left panel and select "Submit Return"
6. Browse to select XML file and click on "Upload" button
7. On successful upload acknowledgement details would be displayed. Click on "Print" to generate printout of acknowledgement/ITR-V Form
8. Incase the return is digitally signed; on generation of "Acknowledgement" the Return Filing process gets completed. You may take a printout of the Acknowledgement for your record
9. Incase the return is not digitally signed, on successful uploading of e-Return, the ITR-V Form would be generated which needs to be printed by the tax payers. This is an acknowledgement cum verification form. The tax payer has to fill-up the verification part and verify the same. A duly verified ITR-V form should be submitted with the local Income Tax Office within 15 days of filing electronically. This completes the Return filing process for non-digitally signed Returns
Here is the link to IT Department's eFiling website.
- How to check whether your employer/financial institution have deposited your TDS?